Ian Buck (Laser Fleet Captain) - present
Jesse Pfammatter (Maintenance Representative) - present
Rich Pang (Windsurfing fleet captain) – present
Michelle Czarnecki (Scow Fleet Captain) - present
Nick Kratzke (Tech and Sloop Fleet Captain) - present
Derk (racing captain) - present
John Goebel- present
Dan Siedliecki (Keelboat captain) - present
Phil Wittig (treasurer) - present
Andy Marin –present
Jeremy B. (Sailing Team) - present
Margaux Stutz (420 Fleet Captain & Team Representative) - present
Charlotte Herzenberg (Secretary) – present
Justin Cherniak (Education Representative) - present
Erica Dederich (Vice Commodore) – present
Brad Strock (President) - present
Jim Rogers (Hoofer Advisor) - present
- Minutes approved
- Agenda approved
- Email Brad to ensure that email works
- Send goals for year to Brad
Friday Night Socials (Brad)
- Dan doesn’t want to be Friday night social chair again.
- This Friday is last day to recommend people for Friday night social chair
- Brad wants two to four ppl. doing Friday night social chair
- Where should we do winter social? Vintage, Hawks, Nitty Gritty
- Friday night Broomball games on Friday?
Club Repairs (Jesse)
- More communication between fleets
- Get volunteers for shop
- Fleet captains should make a list of what they want done this winter
- Open up communication throughout club for work parties
- (Justin) Online tracker for problems with boats coming (HTTP://issues.hoofersailing.org)
- Start doing walk throughs
Hoofer Shop Staff Wages (Jake & Jesse)
- Jesse and Jake propose an increase in wages
- Why pay them more: takes a year to train them, so higher wages will keep them around longer, keep experienced people coordinating the volunteers, get more done and have higher expectations of shop.
- Overall, wage increase would include about a 50 cent raise per staff member, per hour.
- Benefits: more qualified staff members will put in more hours and not go to other, higher paying jobs.
- 3 very experienced ppl. are much more valuable than 5 inexperienced ppl. in the shop
- Interested in a keelboat cart
- Possibility of opening up the shop on weekends
- Possibility of shop person on-call
- Automatic merit increases usually occur but not always
- Motion (Ian): To accept the recommended wage increases and to update the 2009 to 2010 budget and budget notes to reflect these increases.
- Michelle seconds
- Jesse and Phil should work out the budget notes
- 8 Yays, 0 Nays, 4 Abstained
- Motion Passed
Nationals (Margaux and Jeremy)
- May 24th through June 3rd
- 11 day event
- 18 teams
- We currently only have twelve 420s and we need eighteen. They all need to be made in the same year and be in similar condition.
- Alumni regatta
- General meeting for all districts
- Races will include women’s, team racing, coeds
- Motorboats will be brought in for event
- Banquets for each event
- It would be great to have spectator boats
- Propose buying 18 new 420s. High school will immediately buy 6 of the old ones. This will cost 30,000 to buy new boats including exchanging the old boats back to the company.
- So far they’ve raised $15,000
- Problem: new boats wouldn’t have spinnakers or trapezes
- We could have the university buy three of the current boats that have spinnakers and trapezes to use specifically for lessons.
- Anticipating having to raise 40,000 for the event including boats
- Total Budget: $60,000
- Timeline: Need half the money by November 1st
- Recently received 18 sets of sails with spinnakers. Could possibly buy new boats without sails and get them cheaper.
- Margaux and Jeremy will get more information about pricing, rigs, and come back in two weeks to continue discussion.
- As a last resort could get club to front money.
Selling the E Scow Hulls (Michelle)
- Buyer doesn’t want hulls anymore.
- Now wants to pay $500 per masts for two masts.
- 91 slips entered for free membership drawing
- For winter kickoff, November 18th, be on time to set up
- Please make posters for each fleet for winter kickoff
- Sold 12 memberships at sailing kickoff
- Sold 25 memberships at all hoofer kickoff
Survey Meeting (Brad & Justin)
- Meeting scheduled for 9-24-09 at 2:00 pm
- To go over marketing questions, demographics
- Will go over survey details at next meeting
Instructorless Lessons (Nick)
- Get more experienced sailors to sail with people who have just joined the club
- On tech boats
Upcoming Events (Brad & Erica)
- Oct. 3rd, Next Saturday: Team vs. World races
- Could include a tech and a sloop race
- Oct. 3rd, Next Saturday: 1:30 - race, 3:30 - freestyle : Windsurfing races
- Oct. 9 th, 2-5 UW homecoming committee is holding a barge-building event
- Oct. 10th, 12:30 at peers, Pumpkin regatta
- Oct. 10 th, ROTC Navy regatta
- Oct. 16th, Homecoming Parade
- Oct. 17th and 18th, Intergalactic tech IGs
- Oct. 17th and 18th, Women’s regatta
- Oct. 24th, Lift-out. Need to get a crane
- Oct. 29th, Bucky’s Ball
- Oct. 31 th, is the last day for sailing
Review of Topics (Brad)
Motion (Erica) - To adjourn
Meeting end: at about 11:00pm